Friday, April 15, 2011

This, That, and the Other Thing-Part 2

Jill and I have been meeting periodically at my mom's to sort through her junk treasures to get ready for a sale. We have made wonderful progress considering the mountains we have to process, but have more ahead of us. Some of the things we found in the latest rounds were:
* At least 2 dozen Easter baskets, including from when we were kids.
* My slide-rule from high school! LOL
* Paperwork including my original social security card, my dad's paystubs from the 1970's, report cards, and cards and letters dating back more than 40 years.
* Our wicker baby bassinet.
* A set for 8 of Warren Kimble Americana dishes and servingware, never used.
* More cookbooks! and knitting brochures.
* A trash bag of plastic eggs and another trash bag of nests.
* A knit sweater and shorts that Michael wore for his one-year-old portrait and the matching picture.
* A Funk and Wagnall's encyclopedia in it's entirety from when I was in grade school.
* Assorted Flotsam and Jetsam

Yesterday we spend 8 hours setting up a sale in Jill's garage again, and today, probably because it dropped 40 degrees this week, we opened! I thought I was going to freeze to death. I wore a flannel shirt, a buttoned sweatshirt and a winter jacket. We sat with windbreak polar fleece blankets over our legs, and a space heater at our feet. Thank God for Cait or Sophie would've had to stay out there with us. We only sold about $200 and have a long way to go until we have enough money to pay the property taxes on the estate.
When we got home, Sophie decorated with some stuff that I pilfered from the estate. She has that decorating gene, we just need to fine-tune it.


On a positive note: Jill bought a roll of quarters to take to Florida for the tolls. She dumped them in a baggie but never used them. She hauled them home and put them in a safe place so we would have change when we had the sale. Today she opened the bag for the first time and dumped it into the tackle box we use as a register. There was one lone dime! THANKS FOR WATCHING OVER US MOM.