Thursday, September 9, 2010

School Daze

School started for 4 of the 5 grandkids. I just hate this time of year with it's shorter days, cooler weather,and endless schedules. It is so depressing for me. I hated to send my own kids to school and it is even harder to think of my little guys going. I don't remember hating school when I was a kid, or having my own kids hate it, so I don't know where that feeling comes from. It must be seasonal disorder, and I am projecting it on to an easy target.
I had a very interesting conversation with the Audette boyz about school. First of all, I found out that Jake cried when it was time to go home after half day kindergarten. He wanted to stay for cafeteria! Molly now signed him up to try out full day kindergarten two days a week. He was very excited to tell me about his uniform. Yellow shirt. Blue pants. Special name tag. And about going to Jesus' house. Where he got to put water on. And Jesus is a grown-up skeleton with skin on. (I think the Audettes ought to go to church more often.) He's most impressed with the bus ride with Nathan.
On the other hand, Nate cried when he had to GO TO school. He'll get used to it again. He likes reading and math. He is not so impressed with spelling tests. I told him if he reads more often it'll help him with that. He is reading a Goosebumps book right now, and is looking forward to the "How To Train Your Dragon" book that I picked up for him.
The little Murrays were already in bed by the time I got done talking to Nate and Jake. Apparently the first day was a little traumatic for Luke. (And Sarah) He is at a new school, and is there for 10 hours a day with extended day care and all day kindergarten. When Sarah picked him up he cried in the parking lot cuz he thought "he was lost." He DID like his 2 recesses, 2 snacks, and lunch. He remembered his lunch PIN which he practiced with a stage whisper to me and Patrick the night before. "It's a secret!" A teacher told him that she is putting him in 5th grade tomorrow. Ha. I'm sure he'll get settled in- can't happen fast enough for me.
But Sophie was such a social butterfly at her first day of preschool that she didn't even say goodbye to Sarah when she dropped her off. She talked a mile a minute when she picked her up. When she went in to school, she was told to find her name on a hook to hang her backpack. She picked "Michael"! With a little coaching, she found "Sophie." Luke could read books by that age. When she was born with blond hair, we did say that we would have to lower our expectations. But seriously, Boy Genius would be a hard act for anyone to follow.
Zach started his Sophomore year at the U of M. He likes his easy schedule on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He loves his new campus apartment. He never even mentioned his classes.
T.G.I.F. tomorrow. A couple days off will put everything in perspective for them, and hopefully, me too.