Thursday, September 2, 2010

Living With Mr. April



Here's a Behind-The-Scenes Scoop.
For a while this spring, every time I'd suggest something for supper to Bob, he would decline. "I don't want to eat junk like that." He was off on long bike rides. He was snacking on strawberries or celery sticks. He would lie out tanning. He stepped up his work-outs. He would skip supper and make himself eggs at night. I thought he was having a mid-life crisis.
Then one day Jeff came in to collect the kids and caught Bob shirtless. "Wow", said Jeff, "have you been working out? You lost weight," and JUST LIKE THAT it dawned on me! Holy smoke, he isn't having a midlife crisis after all. He just lost his mind. He wants to do the Firefighters Calendar. He's competing against 20 and 30 yr. olds to get a spot. I started laughing hysterically and could not stop. Bob blushed furiously. I told Jeff my suspicions. He made Jeff swear to secrecy. Well, we all know how THAT turned out - Not so secret. His kids were mortified. But, as Bob says, "Score one for the old guy."
The St. Paul Firefighters 2011 Calendars are out. They are $15 and proceeds go to The Autism Society of Minnesota and The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.