Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sniffles, Sickness and Safaris


It's official! Six weeks from tonight, I will be laying deranged on Emily's living room floor in Cape Town, after enduring 24 hours of flights. Hopefully after a day of rest, we will get the circus on the road. Bob, Zach and Zach's friend Liz will be rounding out our clown posse. The teenagers are excited, Emily is psyched, and Bob can't wait to try out his driving skills on the "wrong" side of the road. I am having a little bit of "buyer's remorse" now that we booked non-refundable tickets, worried if I can keep up.Katrina has offered us her room when she is traveling. Emily has agreed to return to some of her favorite places with us, and we all look forward to the highlight of our vacation- the safari. We still have alot of planning to do, reservations to make and an appointment with the travel clinic to find out if we need shots! But the biggest hurdle is behind us, finding the airline tickets. Now we just have to fly the almost 20,000 miles!
Yesterday Sarah dropped off the kids even though Sophie had been up all night throwing up. Today, even though Luke was sick, Patrick also would've dropped them off if he had not been caught up in the flu himself. We found ourselves with an unexpected afternoon off so I picked up Hannah after class and we took her to her favorite restaurant, Buffalo Wild Wings. Bob went home and I got my hair cut while Hannah played with the puppies at the pet store. Hannah and I rounded out the day with a trip to the doctor for her, a prescription at target, and a little retail therapy. I dropped Hannah off with two bags of groceries and headed home myself. I had a few messages from my Discover card both on the phone and online. They wanted to know if I was the one that charged that much at Delta.com today. In the end I had to say yes. Both of us were stunned.