Saturday, May 28, 2011

Jake's Super Birthday


Jake had a superhero party today for his 6th birthday. All the kids and some of the "adults" came in costume. The kids had a lot of fun doing the things that kids do. Hannah manned the facepainting booth and was a big hit! Not even the mid-party rain put a damper on things. We just moved indoors for the super cupcakes!





I made a Jedi robe, under tunic, tabards, and obi for little Captain Underpants to wear while playing his video games. I also bought him the Lego Star Wars video game that he begged asked for. The costume was just the icing on the cake. I made it with the tutorials of Star Wars enthusiasts on the web. (And that is an understatement. Some people actually believe they are Jedis. Let me be the first to tell you there are a lot of rules involved in sewing a Jedi uniform!) It fit pretty good considering the tunic shrunk up like crazy when I washed it. Note to self: Always preshrink fabric! Shortcuts rarely turn out to be so. I figured if it didn't fit I could preshrink more fabric and make a new tunic for him, and then adapt this one into a Yoda robe for Max. My next project is a Yoda hat... but Don't tell. May The Force Be With You.