Monday, September 21, 2009

"Dress-up" is Not Just for Kids-Just ask Grandpa!


The week has been busy as usual. Nate, Jake, and Max came last weekend to visit. Max learned to crawl so I had to keep a super close eye on him because he was intrigued by the cats. Nate and Jake found the dress-up clothes in the toy closet and split a costume. Nate wore the police uniform pants and shirt, and Jake wore the S.W.A.T. vest and helmet. I found two guns (a starter pistol and a western gun) and off they went, shooting up the place! They were even more delighted when Grandpa came home from a 9/11 ceremony in HIS dress-up clothes. (Actually his SPFD Honor Guard uniform, but don't tell the boys!) He was upped a few cool points in their eyes for that.
I called Alaina to wish her a happy birthday, and asked what she was doing. She told me she "was sitting in her dorm like a loser", so I arranged a quick party.
When Max went in for his nap, I took her, the boys, and My girls to the Olive Garden. Happy Birthday Alaina!
On Friday, Sophie, Grandpa and I went to my physical therapy. The staff got a kick out of Sophie in full diva mode with her purse, sunglasses and baby. They just had to come in back to tell me everything was fine- Sophie was coloring and grandpa was holding the baby! We went to preschool and picked up Luke and Jake too as a surprise for the boys. When we dropped Jake back home, he wanted to know where Sophie and Luke were going. He was very disappointed, and asked why they got to come home with me. I explained that their mom and dad were working, so they HAD to come with us. When Molly got Jake out of the car he asked her why she couldn't work too! (Like daycare for 6 kids 4 yrs and under isn't work!)
Today I picked up the boys from school and took them to lunch. We headed out to the Pumpkin farm, but it doesn't open until Thursday. Plan B was a trip to grandpa Dick's to feed apples to the horses. My dad didn't tell me until after the fact that the weeds I was pillaging for apples in was in fact Itch Weed! What? He forgot I was a city girl? Thanks Dad! After a quick trip to the house for soap and cold water, we played kickball, looked for butterflies, and sat on the glider for a while. We picked a couple flowers for Molly and went home.
I also need to report a few things I'm proud of. #1 On Thursday I drove through Minneapolis down to Shakopee for a Junk Sale with my cousin Robyn. I didn't get lost or freak out even through construction and huge Semis in traffic! #2 On Sunday I drove to Minneapolis to buy something from Craig's List and didn't get killed by the weird, toothless, but ultimately very nice hippie that sold me an old sewing machine cabinet for a project. And on the way home from that, I stopped at a Farmer's Market in the 'hood where Diane and I were the only non-Hmong people there. #3 I graduated to a neon green elastic band in my physical therapy! Yeah. I'm a big girl now.