Sunday, January 23, 2011

Three Little Monkeys

We had a very busy Saturday. Bob, Hannah and I were in the car traveling to Nate's basketball tourney by 9:50 a.m. He played with his usual fervor and it was really fun to watch. He makes these fierce faces when he's running down the court. I would be afraid if I were an opponent. (I think if I teach him to growl when another kid approaches he'll be unstoppable!) These kids play "big boy" basketball so convincingly it's easy to forget they are only 9-10 years old. It was a heartbreaking 1 point loss in overtime! We had a very short break before the next game, so we headed up to a table in the cafeteria. I brought string cheese, clementines, and 100% juice boxes, but still got called out for bringing pixie sticks as a treat! Max spent the final 5 minutes crawling between us on the tabletop like a puppy. We headed back down for the 2nd game, and I stood in line to secure 9 seats for us. Grandpa Tim and Monica had joined our party. Sadly, he lost again! After the game when the coach was talking about how well they played and how much better they have gotten, I mentioned that I didn't get to see the last tournament's First Place Finish. He decided that I am THE JINX. I think that may be true.
After the game, we dropped off Hannah and took Nate to lunch at BWW. We headed right to the Audette's to babysit after lunch. Of course Bob got them all riled up again. You see, Bob has a few circus tricks that he entertains them with. This is something he's done with all the kids and grand kids. Trick One: He stands with the kid facing him. They hold hands, and the kid walks up the front of him like a monkey. When he gets to the top, he sits on his shoulders. Now here is the important part: the kid gives him a kiss "MUAH", and says good-bye "BYE-BYE" after which Bob spins him in a backward somersault back to the ground. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat! He can only do this with kids up to about Jake's size. The 2nd circus trick can be done to almost anyone who is crazy enough to try it. Trick Two: In this trick, Bob lays flat on his back on the floor. He bends his elbows and puts his hands, palms up, flat on the floor nest to his head. At this point the victim, partner stands on his hands. Bob lifts them into the air until his arms are straight up. You have to have crazy balance to try this. This is an old trick from his repertoire. (In fact my sister's earliest memory of Bob is as a high school kid inviting her to "stand on his hands". This isn't quite as creepy as it sounds- she was 12.) Anyway, after riling them up, they decided to break the rules and play basketball in the family room. I pleaded, yelled, and finally took away the basketball. By then Jake was falling asleep. He wouldn't go to bed, but set up a nest in the beanbag and drifted off. Max tried to fight it, but fell asleep sitting up on the couch and was carried up to bed. Nate wouldn't give in to sleep and was still awake when Molly and Jeff got home at 10:30. We finally arrived home 13 hours after we started out in the morning, worn out but loving it.