Friday, December 10, 2010

"But I Don't Want To See Santa Claus"



It was an outing weeks in the making. First I shopped 'til I dropped looking for just the right outfit for Sophie to wear to see Santa. Sparkly red/green/silver tights. Check. To-die-for soft faux fur jacket from Gymboree. Check. "I Love Santa" T-shirt to match. Check. Then we had to wait for Grandpa to clear time in his schedule to go with us because grandma doesn't do Minneapolis. And Sophie had to have a day off school. Finally today was the day. I was soooo excited. I asked Sarah to bring her over in her pajamas so I could dress her. So far, so good. She ate breakfast, changed into her Santa clothes, and excitedly got in the car. We parked at downtown Macy's and took the elevator to the main floor. Everyone stopped to comment on her outfit and she didn't even ask to be held. So far, so good. We went to the 8th floor auditorium and decided to skip seeing the exhibit and just get in the line to see Santa. So far, so good. She liked looking at the other kids waiting with her. It was finally her turn. We walked through the red velvet curtain and went in. There was the Jolly Old Elf himself! Oh Oh!!! We hadn't asked Sophie if she wanted to do this and she was having none of it. In a panic, I sat by Santa. Then I cajoled. Grandpa begged. Santa schmoozed and gave her a button to wear. Nope! Finally I just picked her up and set her on his lap. I thought she might cry, but instead she froze. Wouldn't look at Santa - or me. Wouldn't talk to him - or me. After waiting and pleading (TICK TOCK TICK TOCK) and getting glares from the elf with the camera, we just took the pictures and left. We got back in line to go through Elf Land thinking it would give us time to talk her into trying it again. Slowly, slowly we inched forward in line. "Grandma, I don't want to see Santa" Sophie said over and over again. She LOVED the elves making candy and mailing packages and trimming trees, but kept on repeating her mantra. Finally at the end of the line where you get cattled through a toy store and a bakery,I asked her if she would like a cupcake, and then we'd go see him. A BIG YES to the cupcake, but as it turned out, a BIG NO to Santa! So bottom line: hours of shopping- $I can't admit it; parking in the ramp-$9; one lousy cupcake with red frosting and sprinkles- $2.50; an adventure with my only granddaughter- priceless! Maybe next year we'll get that million dollar smile. Afterward, we met Diane for lunch because that outfit was just too good to waste. She blabbered on and on about Macy's and the elves. And on the way out we saw my Aunt Janet and Uncle Jim and she had a new audience to blabber to. ( Bonus. I even ended up getting an acceptable picture out of the bunch.)