Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Empty Nest Times Two
The last of the Quads.
Sophie spotted this baby and kept watch over it until it could fly.
The Empty nest.
Awwww! Gone!
But that's not where this story ends. While I was downloading these pictures, Shadow (the babysitter) picked up the baby Robin from the backyard and brought him in the house to me! The baby was screaming his little head off but unharmed.(Thank you Shadow for using your "soft mouth." Good Girl.) I took him back outside and held him until he calmed down. Mama and Daddy Robin were watching when he finally flew up to the tree to them. Disaster averted this time, we didn't want to take any more chances. Baby birds are pretty vulnerable for about 3 weeks to predators (or even well-meaning babysitters, like Shadow.). So our neighbor Andrew, the bird-man, came over and took the nest. He held it out until Mama and Daddy were watching, then moved the nest to his cat-less house next door. They checked it out in it's new location and seemed satisfied. According to Andrew, Robin families have 4 hatches of 4 eggs each in a summer. Hopefully our little ones will live a long happy birdy life.
I know just how Mama and Daddy Robin feel. Our own baby girl , Hannah , is moving to the East Coast in August for Grad School. I hope there is a Bird-man out there to watch over her when I am not able to. So for now we are once again, Empty Nesters. To quote Sophie " Awwww! Gone!"